Change of Status
If you are already in the United States and have been maintaining your current non-immigrant status, you may apply for Change of Status. Please note that it takes time for your application to be processed.
Please contact an admissions representative. Our friendly staff speaks many languages; please ask for someone who speaks your native language. Alternatively, you can fill out our application form and our advisers will contact you.
- Passport (should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended period of study in the United States)
- Entry Visa (in passport)
- I-94 (Arrival/departure record)
- DS-2019 form (only for J-1 students)
- Financial evidence proving you or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended stay
- Copy of High School or University Diploma (translated into English)
If you have a spouse and/or children who are going to accompany you while in the US, you will need to provide the following documents in order to submit each dependent’s I-20:
- Copy of Passport for each dependent (should be valid for at least 6 months beyond your intended period of study in the United States)
- Proof of your relationship to your spouse and/or children (e.g., marriage and birth certificates translated into English)
3: School Fees
You are required to pay the following:
- $100 Application Fee
You may pay online. Please contact your SOLEX admissions representative for assistance.
4: I-20 Form
When we have reviewed your application to determine that all academic and financial standards for admission have been met, the DSO will issue you a SEVIS I-20 form.
5: SEVIS Fee
After you have received your form I-20, you are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee $200. You may pay online.
6: Mailing All Documents
To apply for a change to F-1 status in the United States, you must submit the following documents to the correct USCIS Service Center:
- Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status
- Form I-20, properly signed by the DSO and by you
- Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee
- Copy of Passport ID pages
- Copy of Entry Visa
- Copy of Form I-94
- Original financial documents (financial evidence proving you or your sponsor has sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended stay)
- $370 personal check or money order for USCIS (made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
- Personal letter (It is optional, but recommended, for you to send a letter explaining why you want to change status to F-1.)
You may start attending school before the application for Change of Status has been approved, unless you are a nonimmigrant changing to F-1 from B-1, B-2 or F-2 status.
8: Report to school
Report to your school immediately after your application for Change of Status has been approved, and do the following to have your SEVIS record registered in SEVIS in a timely fashion:
- Bring approval documents from USCIS
- Take the SOLEX placement test
- Obtain your books, class schedule, and speak with your admission advisor to pay tuition.
We wish you luck with your studies!